Sweet Potatoes Stuffed with Apples and Pecans
This recipe is an absolute favorite in my house! It’s cooking time is a little long, but it’s well worth it. This is a side dish that will definitely become a tradition. Sometimes I like to add a little cheese, but to tell you the truth it’s better the way in the recipe.
- 6 medium sweet potatoes
- 1/2 c butter; unsalted & cubed
- 1/4 c packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp grated orange zest
- 2 medium apples, chopped
- 1/4 c chopped pecans
- Scrub potatoes & pierce several times with a fork.
- Place on a foil-lined 15 x 10 x 1 in baking pan.
- Bake at 400° for 45-60 minutes or until tender.
- When cool enough to handle, cut off a thin slice from the top of each potato and discard. Or in my case secretly eat ;).
- Scoop out pulp, leaving 1/4-in thick shells
- Transfer to a large bowl. Mash pulp with butter, adding brown sugar and orange zest.
- Fold in apple and pecans.
- Spoon into potato shells.
- Return to baking pan. Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until heated through.
This recipe yields 6 servings