Here’s our favorite sugar cookies recipe.
Yesterday the boys and I made sugar cookies! Not your regular round cookies because my boys like to cut out the cookies with cookie cutters.
I have a recipe that’s great, and want to share it with you. 🙂
Let’s start with the Ingredients:
* 3 cups of all purpose flour
* 3/4 cups of room temperature butter
* 1 egg
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1 teaspoon almond extract
* 3 tablespoons whipping cream
* 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 cup granulated sugar
1. Whip room temperature butter until fluffy. Gradually add sugar and egg. At this point I like to stop the mixer to scrape bottom and sides of bowl. Add vanilla and almond extracts and whipping cream.
2. When the mixture is nice and fluffy begin to add the dry ingredients. Start with adding half of the flour a little at a time then add the salt and baking powder. You can then add the remaining half of the flour. Mix until it forms a soft dough.
3. Take half of the dough and form a disk, wrap in plastic wrap. Do the same with the remaining half of dough.
4. Put in fridge to cool and firm up for 1 1/2 – 2 hours.
5. Once the dough has chilled, right before you take it out of the fridge. Preheat your oven to 400°F.
6. Make sure dough is nice and firm before you start to roll it out.
7. Flour your working surface and roll dough to a 1/4 inch thickness.
8. Now you can use your cookie cutter of choice. My tip is to place the cookie cutter as close to the edge as possible to be able to get as many cookies as you can.
9. Take excess dough and roll out again to cut some more cookies.
10. Place in oven for about 6-8 min. (check on the cookies at the 6 min mark) They are ready when the edges are golden brown.
11. Place cookies (still on baking sheet) on cooling rack to cool. Once they are cooled you can decorate as you like.