Yummy Potato Patties Recipe
If you want an easy and delicious potato pattie recipe, this is the recipe for you.
Today was such a busy day filled with doctor appointments, a visit to my mom’s house, and a visit to the library. I was exhausted when we got home, but dinner had to get on the table. So I decided to make something that doesn’t take a lot of work. My potato patties! They come out crispy and delicious! So of course I want to share the recipe with you.
Let’s go over the ingredients:
* 5 lbs of potatoes ( I used Yukon Gold potatoes)
* Salt & Pepper
* 2 C Mozzarella Shredded Cheese
* 2 Scallions sliced
* Oil * 1 Egg (optional)
* 1 – 2 C Flour
Let’s get started:
1. First things first, rinse and scrub your potatoes to make sure they are nice and clean.
2. Place the potatoes in a pot of cold water. Make sure that the water covers your potatoes.
3. Cover the pot and bring the potatoes to a boil.
4. When the water starts to boil add 1 tsp of salt and cover until the potatoes are ready. (the potatoes will be ready when you can poke them easily with a fork or when the peel of the potato starts to crack and peel on its own.)
5. Drain the potatoes. and place in cold water to cool or just wait for the potatoes to cool. (do NOT let potatoes get to cold. Cool just enough so you can handle them with your hands.)
6. Once the potatoes have cooled you want to peel and place them in a large bowl, and mash the potatoes.
7. Incorporate the cheese and scallions into the potatoes until you have the nice soft consistency of mashed potatoes. Taste the mixture for saltiness and add salt if desired.
8. Scoop a small amount of the mixture into your hand and shape into a pattie. (you can also make them into croquettes or stick shape)
9. Place patties on a plate and place in fridge for about 10 minutes to cool. (this will help harden the patties so they wont crumble.)
10. After about 10 minutes take out the patties and heat your oil. (Here is where there are different ways of doing this.) whisk an egg in one bowl and place 1 – 2 C of flour in another bowl.
11. Coat patties in egg then in flour. * You can completely skip this step and just fry patties in oil without the egg or the flour if you like. Or what I like to do is only coat the patties in flour then fry. The flour helps keep the patties together so they won’t crumble in the oil. Make sure you shake off excess flour. Then place in hot oil.
12. When the patties are browned on one side flip to the other.
13. When both sides are done place on a paper towel lined plate and let cool.
You can serve them on their own or with a salad and sliced avocado.
Because of the cheese do not let the oil get to hot or the patties will start losing their shape. Remember that the frying is only to brown the patties since everything else is already cooked. Therefore you don’t need a lot of oil .
I hope your family enjoys them as much as mine does. Please share your pictures or comments as to how they came out when you try them. Also don’t forget to leave any questions or comments (Which are welcomed and appreciated) and I will answer them gladly. Enjoy!