Flan ~ A Perfect Recipe for Family Fun @freerangenellie
If you are looking for a delicious recipe you can make with your kids, give this one a try. Keep reading for the recipe and to see why Flan is a perfect recipe for family fun.
Flan ~ A Perfect Recipe for Family Fun
One of the things I love about the holidays is cooking with my boys. We do a lot of cooking together but we have extra fun during the holidays. Of course we make the traditional cookies, however there is one dessert that we look forward to making together. This dessert is Flan!
Every Christmas we have Flan for dessert and my boys especially Aaron love helping me to make it. I let them do pretty much everything except the making of the caramel and the placing and removing from the oven. The look of pride and satisfaction on their little faces are priceless.
Because this recipe is so important to our Christmas tradition I make sure I use the best ingredients. That’s why when it comes to the eggs I use nothing but Nellie’s Free Range Eggs. I love that Nellie’s Free Range is Certified Humane – meaning they care for their hens as much as I do for my own chicklings! Let’s get on with the recipe and I’ll tell you more about Nellie’s below.
1 1/2 cups Sugar
6 Large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
1/4 tsp. Salt
1 can Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 can Evaporated Milk
3/4 cup Whole Milk
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
3 tbsp. Water
1. In a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat, cook sugar and water stirring continually, until mixture turns to liquid and is a light caramel color. Usually about 5 to 8 minutes.
2. Pour into a 9″ X 5″ loaf pan.
3. Using oven mitts, slowly turn pan to coat all the sides and bottom with the caramel.
4. Preheat oven to 350°.
5. In a large bowl add eggs, cinnamon, salt, milks, and vanilla. Using a hand mixer, beat until combined, about 2 minutes.
6. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
7. Place flan pan into a larger loaf or cake pan and add water to larger pan until it reaches halfway up flan pan.
8. Place pans in oven and bake uncovered for 1 hour.
9. After the hour cover loosely with foil and bake another 30 minutes.
10. Remove flan pan from larger pan and cool before refrigerating overnight (or at least 8 hours).
11. Transfer to a platter, slice, and serve.
Tips: Sometimes we make individual flans instead of one big one. For this I use a cupcake pan as my “flan pan”.
About Nellie’s Free Range Eggs (from their website)
Nellie’s Free Range Hens are among the happiest hens on earth. They love spending their days in the sunshine and laying nutritious eggs that simply taste better than factory-farmed eggs.
We were the first egg producer to earn the respected Certified Humane seal. It guarantees that the eggs you buy were laid by well-cared-for hens. And it will stay that way, no matter how much our flock of small farms grows.
We were the first egg producer in the world to receive the Certified Humane® seal for the kind, ethical treatment of animals. This means that our family farmers treat all of our free range hens like they would treat any friend, with love and gratitude. In return, our happy, lovable hens provide families with nutritious, wholesome eggs. We love our hens, you’ll love our eggs.