Ultimate Volcano Kit Review #discoverwithdrcool
Discover with Dr. Cool Ultimate Volcano Science Kit (Make a Volcano Erupt!)
My middle son who is 8 just started loving all things volcanoes and my youngest who’s 4 has started his liking of dinos and volcanoes. So we were super excited to get the chance to review the Ultimate Volcano Science Kit from Discover with Dr. Cool! The boys loved helping me mix the plaster and pouring it into the volcano mold.
After about 45 minutes we removed the volcano from the mold and chipped away the excess plaster that leaked from the sides of the mold and smoothed the seams. As suggested by the manufacturer I baked the volcano on a cookie sheet at 200 degrees for 2 hours. We let it cool and then the boys painted the volcano. They had such an amazing time.
Making the volcano was fun and easy with the step by step directions. Here’s what the finished volcano looked like.
To make it erupt we added 1 tsp of each of the eruption powders and added water. The volcano erupted and there were cheers from everyone and some jumping from the 4 year old! This was such a fun project and the my boys absolutely loved it. The kit also brings other tips for different types of eruptions, which we are going to be trying out next. I would recommend this for any teacher, home schooled child or just as a fun activity to do with the kids anytime of the year!!
You can purchase this amazing Volcano Science Kit and other amazingly fun kits on the Discover with Dr. Cool website and on Amazon.
- * Make a volcano erupt and collect 3 real volcanic specimens (pumice, obsidian arrowhead, and a geode)
* Ultimate kit includes: Volcano Mold, plaster, paints, brush, eruption powder, and 3 real specimens
* Perfect science fair project or gift for kids 6-12 that are interested in volcanoes, earth science or geology
* Full-Color Info and Activity guides were written by teachers are filled with cool science facts about volcanoes and puzzles to solve
* Winner of Gold Award from Family Review Center, Kids Product of the year from Creative Child Magazine, and Seal of Approval from the Toy Directory
We’ve turned this classic science experiment into the ultimate hands-on volcano experience! First you’ll use the plaster and mold included to make your volcano chamber. Then you’ll use the brush and paints included in the kit to decorate it. Next you’ll make the volcano erupt over and over again with the eruption powder (included). Plus you’ll get to examine 3 genuine volcanic specimens including: a real geode, an obsidian arrowhead, and a floating piece of volcanic rock called pumice. The information guide will teach you all about your specimens as well as how volcanoes form and why they erupt. Also included is an activity booklet with 10 fun games, puzzles, and challenges to complete. Because everything is included in the kit, you won’t need to run to the store for additional supplies. If you’re doing this project for the science fair, you’ll love how nice this volcano looks—it’s way better then those paper mache volcanoes. This is the perfect science kit for anyone interested in geology, earth science, or volcanoes.
AWARDS WON: Gold Award – Family Review Center 2012, Seal of Approval – Family Review Center – 2012, Kids Product of the Year – Creative Child Magazine -2012 and Seal of Approval – Toy Directory Monthly 2013.
- Some tips for casting a successful volcano: the Ultimate Volcano directions call for one cup of water to be added to the plaster, and this amount works for most customers. However, if you have added a full cup and the mix still seems too thick to pour into the mold, stir in a little extra water, adding a bit at a time (up to 1/4 cup). The ideal consistency should be thick, but pourable. We also recommend working quickly and using cold water throughout, since warm or hot water can make the plaster harden more quickly.