The best gift just got better!
A great gift that also helps!
As holiday season quickly approaches, The Adventure Project, a nonprofit organization creating entrepreneurial jobs in developing countries, is providing a gift option that works for everyone on your list — naughty and nice alike! — and gives a gift to a family in Kenya. “Coal for Christmas” is a soap stocking stuffer, and each $35 purchase supports local entrepreneurs in Kenya in the construction and distribution of life-saving charcoal-efficient stoves. The “lump of coal” is actually a black, unscented soap, delivered in a beautiful gold-foil-stamped box with a booklet about the specific impact of the gift and the opportunity to include a personalized message on the gift note. The Adventure Project’s goal is to sell 2,500 boxes, which would improve the lives of 10,000 people in Kenya.
· Almost half the world’s population still cooks food, boils water, and warms their homes by burning wood, animal and agricultural waste, and coal in open fires or rudimentary cookstoves. The smoke from these cookstoves kills 1 person every 8 seconds.
· Everyday, 3 billion people in developing countries are exposed to toxic smoke – one of the world’s biggest killers – when preparing meals over open fires.
· Cooking over open fires is equivalent to smoking two packs of cigarettes per day.
· Traditional stoves and open fires used for cooking emit more black carbon into the environment than all the cars and trucks in the world.
· The average woman in Kenya walks ten miles a day collecting wood, totaling 30 hours per week.
- Lump of coal (it’s soap!)
- Booklet about your impact
- Include a personalized message
- Gold foil stamped box
- Shipping starts Dec 1st
For more on the Coal for Christmas campaign, visit http://
Disclosure: My Silly Little Gang did not receive any form of compensation for this post.